Monday, May 21, 2012

Catch-Up

    Hey all! Sorry I've been M.IA. for the past two weeks; just trying to get settled in. But I'm finally in Sapporo! It's a pretty cool city, though I haven't done too much exploring yet. The area I'm in is called Nishioka, and it's really quiet and residential, so it takes time to get downtown. But it's literally a three minute walk from school, so I'm content! And of course I've taken some pictures, so please indulge in my new life thus far.
           This was my first meal in Sapporo! It's tempura (fried...stuff, like veggies and shrimp), udon (a thick flour-wheat noodle), and some veggies. I would like to note that whoever said the food portions in Japan are small...lied! I couldn't even finish the whole thing, as there is a huge bowl of rice hidden underneath the tempura. Regardless, it was delicious.

         A toilet! Not something you see everyday (or ever) in America. It's built into the floor, and you must squat. Yes, squat. But it's not as bad as it seems. You just kinda get used to it.
        These are some Sakura (cherry blossom). Unfortunately, they were already starting to die when we came, so we didn't get to enjoy Hanami (flower viewing).
        This was a birthday present from my friend Madoka! A really cute strawberry keychain (which I won't use for fear of breaking it) and something I've never heard of: Sweet Umeboshi (dried pickled plums). Umeboshi are normally super sour, and these are too, but they have a hint of sweetness to make the sourness more bearable! Considering how I'm not a huge fan of umeboshi in the first place, they take some getting used to. But I will not let me present go to waste. まどか、ありがとう〜!
       The Sapporo TV tower. You can go up for around 600 yen (about $7). Maybe I will someday!
       The cutest doughnut I've ever eaten! Bought at Mister Donut, Japan's chain doughnut store. It was as delicious as it was cute!
        Crows...For some reason, Japanese crows are abnormally large and creepy. They're everywhere, really loud, and not afraid to get close to people. I definitely will not miss them when I come home...
      A wedding at a temple I visited! It was cool to see the traditional style mixed with some Western. Some of the people are wearing suits and dresses. Not sure if that's common or not, but it's cool regardless.

     So that's some of my life so far. I'll be back with some specific adventures I had. Peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment